RC Dumpster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RC Dumpster

The one place for us to discuss, compare, and share, our RC experiance.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
OK all going to get this going again, lets have some fun and post away, thanks for joining.

Vents for your RIde

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Montana Mike
Trash Disposal Team
Trash Disposal Team
Montana Mike

Vents for your RIde Empty
PostSubject: Vents for your RIde   Vents for your RIde Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 am

Blue Groove RC Concepts,

Air scoops provide an effective way to direct a cooling airflow through a vehicle’s body and onto the chassis. If properly positioned, scoops will help to cool nitro engines, electric motors and speed controls by allowing air to flow through the body and over these components. Most RC bodies don’t have functional air scoops, but thanks to Blue Groove RC Concepts, you can now remedy that with its new Heat & Press Air Induction System. The kit comes with a 3-piece molded-composite die set that includes male and female halves and a pressure post that can be inserted through the back of either half. The instructions outline exactly how to add a scoop to an unpainted Lexan body because that’s how this kit was intended to be used. I wanted to add scoops to painted bodies, though. The kit requires the use of a heat gun, and I’m not interested in melting paint. I instead decided to make scoops out of sheet plastic and strategically attach them to existing painted shells.

[img]Vents for your RIde Vent_110[/img]

STEP 1.
The Blue Groove Heat & Press Air Induction System comes with the molded die set and a small bottle of gel that’s meant to protect areas around the mold from the heat. You need a heat gun to soften the plastic or Lexan because a hair dryer does not get hot enough. For my scoops, I picked up a $3 sheet of 0.040-inch-thick plastic at the hobby shop

[img]Vents for your RIde Only_c10[/img]

STEP 2.
I started with a piece of plastic that would be large enough for at least two scoops. I removed the protective sheeting from both sides because it could melt or even ignite. The larger half of the mold is the female half. I placed it in the center of a folded towel to prevent it from moving around and to protect the surface underneath.

[img]Vents for your RIde Vent_210[/img]

STEP 3.
I used the male half of the mold to cover the “active” area while I sprayed the gel on to pre- vent the surrounding plastic from getting too hot.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg310[/img]

STEP 4.

With the heat gun on the lower of its two settings, I waved it slowly to and fro about an inch off the surface until I saw the plastic begin to soften

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg410[/img]

STEP 5.

I quickly removed the heat gun and pressed the die halves together. It is best to do this several times instead of trying to heat it all at once. Heat, press, heat, press, heat, press.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg510[/img]

STEP 6.
Even with the gel, this is what you get when the plastic has cooled. I’ll flatten this out during the next couple of steps.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg610[/img]

STEP 7.
I put the scoop back into the mold and turned it face-down on a hard surface. (Make sure that the surface can handle heat without melting or being scorched.) I heated the edges until they softened and then used the other half of the die, placed on its side, to “iron” out the wrinkles. I did this to all of the four sides while keeping constant pressure on the main mold.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg7_210[/img]

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg7_310[/img]

STEP 8.
Using a metal ruler and a sharp hobby knife, I cut out the scoop leaving about 3/8 inch all the way around.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg810[/img]

STEP 9.

I used my Dremel tool with its cut-off wheel to open the scoop. You can get creative here. I was going for the hood-scoop look; you can open it wider if you need more of an airflow. It’s now ready for paint. Silver was handy, so silver it was.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg9_110[/img]

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg9_210[/img]

STEP 10.
After determining where I wanted the scoop to go, I put masking tape on the surface and traced the male half of the mold on it. I used my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to remove a section and allow the scoop to come up from the inside of the body.

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg10_110[/img]

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg10_210[/img]

[img]Vents for your RIde Bg1210[/img]

Last edited by Montana Mike on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to get some pictures in here)
Back to top Go down
Montana Mike
Trash Disposal Team
Trash Disposal Team
Montana Mike

PostSubject: Re: Vents for your RIde   Vents for your RIde Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 11:30 am

Sorry guys trying to get some pictures here for you
Back to top Go down
71goat
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver
71goat

PostSubject: Re: Vents for your RIde   Vents for your RIde Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:12 am

Did yea get any pics of the process yet?
I really like to see them
Back to top Go down
Montana Mike
Trash Disposal Team
Trash Disposal Team
Montana Mike

PostSubject: Re: Vents for your RIde   Vents for your RIde Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 4:00 pm

GOT EM!!!!!! There you go Goat, sorry bout that
Back to top Go down
Admin
zueslilbuddy
zueslilbuddy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vents for your RIde   Vents for your RIde Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Pretty cool man I like it
Back to top Go down
https://smashing-rc-dumpster.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vents for your RIde   Vents for your RIde Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vents for your RIde
Page 1 of 1